Thursday, June 27, 2013

Let Them Eat Cake

Stale hands and shakey knees
There are too many wars. and not enough prizes
Sliced red velvet, worth its weight
In gold and I have no appetite
Lately I walk around
Broken chairs for legs
Domesticated plants choke out my throat
The view from here is beautiful
Of the alleyway
That is where my heart once was

Lately I pretend as if I know
How to do impressions of myself
I don't even know how I breathe
With all of these knives and magnets

I never asked to be so mannequin
I never asked to be hollowed out
Or bashed in
I am last year's pumpkin
Smiling empty, burning inside
Twisting into the wrong side of a nightmare

Robotic and delicate, vogue
Pose, open mouth sexy as hell
Freeze frame roadkill
If you had to choose
Oregon Denver Brooklyn
Breathing underwater taking in the fifty degrees
Of salt and octopus tears
The bump in the night that frightens is not monstrous
But is the everyday
The desire to break mirrors, to write letters
To burn all of the books,
And let them eat steak

No comments:

Post a Comment