Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Seizure of Public Property

Today I want to die
Of tight-lipped melancholy,
Or static, or a killer
Craving for watermelon, or
Assumed innocence
I wanted to burn myself at the high stakes
I'm sorry I get excited about language
And you don't

You didn't seem to mind
My forked tongue against yours last night
Rape my journal, my thoughts
Public execution of an alleged whore
Let this all be a terrible lactic acid trip
Around the bullshit sunshine

I originally wanted to die
Of happiness, or hedonism
Really whichever came first
Started out as a thought I had
About death in the afternoon
Watching the X-files, hot with Texas sweat
And hungover with all the appropriateness of artists
After well whiskey binges and well,
Streetwise poverty-line decadence
And my lion-hearted rages at midnight or whenever
We were sprawled all over each other
And the second hand living room
A trashy litter of feral kittens
And I honestly thought
This is all I'll ever need

I don't need eyes I need people
Or an island, or a street fight,
A bubble bath, champagne dripping down my grin
I'd take either an anchor or a scarf
Tie a nuisance around my neck and
Hang around the bordello
Of the subconscious

Or the opera of the black spotlight on my heart
Limelight and the salt of the earth
I am public property
You simultaneously love and hate
Everything that is Marilyn Monroe
About me and I hate the girl in the mirror some days
And nights, she needs a cigarette
Or a new tattoo
Or a room of her own
Or a knothole in a tree
Some damn thing

No comments:

Post a Comment