Wednesday, May 8, 2013

When I was Seventeen (I Lost It)



I am probably too young
To be this post-modern yet this old-
Fashioned a dress out of shyness, hot pink heart full of

Blindness in the sunlight
Reminisce on days when I really was
Too young
Back then, everyone wanted a piece
Of cake, to have, and to hold,
And they all wanted to eat it too

But the queen is dead
Long live the queen-
Sized bed that

You broke me in
Didn’t everyone want me then:
When my arms were tanned toothpicks
Back then when light-
Beer came out of my pores
And I was always smiling, and sucking
On limes and I would lie around
Metabolizing the day away

Swimming mermaid-like and topless
Through a sea of cigarette smoke and sweat
And a sweet smile softer than the summer
Radiant, wavy wild hair
Longer than God, longer than Time
Tangled as legs
At a time when I shaved them, but now I see that
Shaving your legs is
ASKING FOR IT

Thinking back on hunters and resulting horrors
Feels like hard candy
Falling out of my mouth covered in spit
Covered in slow motion
It hits the dirt and it sticks

There’s no going back
Everything is covered in ugly
And covered in germs that make me cringe
In my sleep the way you do when you touch
A greasy
Public door handle

No comments:

Post a Comment