Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Lazy Veins, my Voodoo Doll Body, for Sherri



Hospital trip #2 was an underwhelming whisper:
What I remember most was my acceptance, my admittance
Arms and palms upturned, like a glimmering soft virgin
Hands empty, arms fluid, limp as an old ragdoll with eyes missing,
With dirt rubbed into her
Pale fabric cheeks, yarn hair ripped out in obvious places, as a result
Of too    much   love

The doctor said, you are going to feel
Cold; doctors always describe feelings as nouns, which is what they are anyway

I wanted to murmur that I knew
The drill as he stuck a thick rushing needle
Deep and hard into my half-ass veins
Where the blood was your favorite color
A purple haze that I could see through
Glowing weakly underneath smooth pale white cold

The nurse laid a blanket at my feet that I pretended not to need and
I showed a similar attitude toward your manicured hand

But as that water that was inserted into me spread
I shivered a breath through embarrassed tears and you
Asked me if it hurt, this woman who had felt iodine burn
But never the frozen sting of
Everything I Ever Needed
That I had denied myself
Was as obvious, as black and white as hospital bills

I cried then because I was sorry,
And I cried because that’s what I said the last time I got away with it

No comments:

Post a Comment