Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cops vs Robbers vs Robots vs Salesmen vs Us.

I would describe our contemporary world as Post-Modern/Pre-Apocalyptic. Its a new time, and we are inventing new words accordingly. What I mean is, we Google things. Netflix is the new Google. Now we Netflix things, too. We walk around speaking nonsense that seems completely sensical to everyone around us. We walk around like we're goddam minor characters in A Clockwork Orange. We don't go to video stores and rent films or television shows. We "netflix" them. Well, I don't. Or at least, I don't yet. However, if you know me, you know I may eventually always break down and sell my soul for instant gratification.


My current love affair is with HBO's 2002-2008 drama The Wire. Chuck Klosterman once said something about Season 4 of The Wire being the greatest season of television ever, and what Klosterman says is gold. My favorite character, as well as Obama's favorite character, is Omar. A bad pun is the only way to say this - Omar puts the "hood" in Robin Hood. Omar has the best of intentions. Omar has cornrows. Omar has a shotgun. Omar has a scar across his face. Omar robs drug dealers and Omar is gay. He defies the stereotype and I love it. The show is progressive and makes some very interesting commentaries on society. The cast is immense and overflowing with diversity. Relations between different races, different sexual orientations, and between different socioeconomic groups are highlighted in almost every scene. The always subjective idea of anyone being "good"or "bad" is challenged and transcended in the show. I love it. Unfortunately, my episodes left are numbered.


So what's next? All my friends love Breaking Bad, but I don't want to make anyone start the epic journey all over again at Season 1 just so I don't have to watch it alone. I watched like, one episode of Weeds and it just didn't take. If anything, I should be watching The L Word from Showtime, but I've been tempted like many others, by the coolness of Don Draper. Ultimately, I know nothing about this guy but still. I am aware of the fact that he (technically/metaphorically/imaginarily) exists. I've seen him around. On the cover of TV Guide and GQ and stuff. Don Draper is the guy you keep somehow running into downtown but you refuse to speak to for fear of where the conversation might lead. He makes me question my loyalty. Makes me want to leave the TV show I'm already with just to be with him. I don't know. I think its just a matter of time, before I find myself embracing technology, decreasing US employment, and letting the robots win, just so I can Netflix the hell out of Don Draper.



"Mad Men's protagonist is Don Draper, a pathological liar who charms women by grabbing their vaginas in crowded restaurants." - Chuck Klosterman, Eating the Dinosaur



No comments:

Post a Comment