Thursday, November 7, 2019

Black and White (from August)


I thought I was done writing about you, maybe
A sonnet here or there or a love poem for our wedding
But never for this ice you injected into the something
Borrowed, something blue, of my veins
But I was the one who held up insides over head
Guts gold sparkling like a championship belt
But delicate as a tennis bracelet
I presented the slender palor of my inner arm 
I said hey slim, pick your poison and plunge whatever 
Fatality into me you please 
And maybe I’ll die pretty 

We’ll always have downtown Austin, we’ll always 
Have the modem art museum in Denver 
We’ll always have this home we built, even
If it wasn’t always 50/50, even if sometimes it was 1950 
And I was so tired of trying to do all the housework by myself
While simultaneously inventing feminism
I should’ve made you carry me over the threshold
The way you made me carry the team 

To think, out of all the doormats in all the world
You walked into me 

No comments:

Post a Comment