Tuesday, February 25, 2014

First Position

When I was younger all I wanted was to be the
Mechanical Doll in Act I of The Nutcracker
To be wound up, to move with music and dark silence
To be beautiful, magical, to dance in the middle of a Christmas party
As if I were freshly opened string lights, bright with fire,
Incapable of ever being broken

These days white teeth and slender arms make me everybody's
Favorite ballerina, and there are days when I question the relevance
Of every word that comes out of my hot wet mouth

A plaything needs a personality like a moose needs a hat rack

I keep trying to change myself into someone the grim reaper won't recognize
Change seems necessary for my face, my hair
If I cut off all my limbs I will have just as many excuses
My body is a long story and I don't want to talk about it


No comments:

Post a Comment