Thursday, August 21, 2014

Ranty, Trashy, Nostalgic

"Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old."

The above is the first line of "Serve the Servants" by Nirvana. This song isn't even on the same album as "Smells like Teen Spirit", but I had both stuck in my head while taking these pictures. The video for "Smells like Teen Spirit" features cheerleaders waving their pom poms (not a euphemism) around at a dingy show, cheering on this whole dirty grunge movement. & I used to be so into that.

In high school, I was totally into the whole heroin chic thing: skinny bod, pale lips, baggy clothes, big black eyes. This blog has nothing particularly to do with heroin chic, or even grunge, except that this outfit was styled with ZERO FUCKS in mind. At school during the day, I could dress anyway I damn pleased. & believe me, I did. (My best friend & I were credited with scandalously starting the whole leggings-as-pants style. Sorry not sorry.) This rebellious fuck-everyone style was due to the fact that I didn't work seven days a week like I do now. (I worked three or four at most; I have always had a job.) Sometimes I really really miss not having to be clean & polished every day. I miss being able to walk around being a disheveled hot mess.

I miss zero fucks outfits every day.

I WOKE UP LIKE THIS. A statement that will, and should, be plastered everywhere. "I woke up like this, flawless", a lyric from a Beyonce video featuring: plaid flannel, short messy hair, and graffiti'd walls in a grungy, moshy, dark room. Parallel universe, that type of thing. My only wish is that the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" possessed flawless choreography. We'll never achieve that dream, its hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind. 

Admittedly, the first time I wore this leotard I wore it with such majestic irony. "I woke up like this" across my chest, with a blue minskirt, heels, makeup.... Don't think I woke up like that. But I still gave zero fucks. Zero dolled up fucks. Maybe giving zero fucks is actually the key to being flawless.


So here's what I wore to take my outfit to spiritual Nirvana in 2014:
I WOKE UP LIKE THIS bodysuit by Burger & Friends www.burgerandfriends.com
Red Converse low-tops that I bought in seventh grade. No socks, laces untied.
Red tribal print skirt, American Apparel, then second-hand from Buffalo Exchange. Naturally.
"MAC red" red lipstick, applied with "cherry" red liner & then smeared & blotted by the mouth of two Fresh Squeezed IPAs. .....Naturally.










No comments:

Post a Comment