Thursday, May 15, 2014

I Woke up Sucking on Lemon



I woke up hungry, which reminds me that I’m still alive
Hungry for oatmeal, or a hunk of red meat that I could tear
To bits in my mouth like a beaten heart


I woke up hungry for hand-holding
And I think holding hands is what separates us from the animals
I think holdings hands is what separates lust from love 


Love is blind, but lust is 20/20


I woke up this morning and ended up eating
Oatmeal out of a bowl that used to belong to a former lover
The way I would eat out of the palm of his hand
As if I were never feral, as if my killer alley cat days
And nights were a dream, were just something I saw in a movie
 
How now, years and months, days and hours later
How can I still crave to de domesticated?
I cry for lack of lap-sitting, hand-holding, all I want is to be pet
I am clawing at the door of everything I’ll never admit that I want 


I have put every acidic insult or moment
Of silence like a soft square in the middle of my tongue
I let it all dissolve and sink into my core
I go down with the ship, I go out with the bathwater
I am neither here nor there, and everyone that I want
To be there isn’t anywhere to be found


And it isn’t anybody’s fault - it’s just the way
Early morning underwater earthquakes work

No comments:

Post a Comment